[tahoe-dev] An additional bounty for an SFTP interface

Jody Harris imhavoc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 15:44:36 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:57 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood <
david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:

> Jody Harris wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In short, if you follow the "Configuring SFTP Access" instructions in
> >> the docs, it ought to work for your karmic box without installing
> >> anything extra. Did that fail somehow?
> >
> > I'm having a moment of, "Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?"
> >
> > For others: SFTP doc is  located in the tarball at
> > ~/allmydata-tahoe-1.6.0/docs/frontends/FTP-and-SFTP.txt
> >
> > Followed instructions (keys and ftp.accounts), restarted tahoe.
> >
> > port 8022 is present, but I have not yet been able to attach to the port.
> >
> > "Unknown error
> > SFTP command failed for an unknown reason."
>
> Sigh, gotta love error messages like that.
>
> This was from trying to connect with KDE's Dolphin filemanager using the
sftp kioslave....

> > I probably missed something.
>
> sftpd.py prints debugging messages on stdout whenever it receives a
> request. What did it print, or did it give a traceback? Can you try
> clients other than the command-line sftp client?
>
> (This is done using v1.6 of tahoe.)

I did get connected using the sftp command line client.

{{{ls}}} fails.

{{{mkdir testing}}} created a directory that I can see with {{{tahoe ls}}}.

.... very interesting....

I copies a files {{{tahoe cp path/to/file alias:testing/}}}, and was able to
do see it with {{{ls testing/}}} in sftp.

I then attached to sftp://localhost:8022/testing with Dolphin, and I can see
the file.

I can copy the file form the sftp-mounted directory to a local directory
with Dolphin.

I cannot open the file directly from the sftp-mounted directory because
other programs don't have access to the kioslave.

So the problem with with the root directory of the alias. Apparently, not
all of the information required for ftp/sftp is being passed by tahoe
through the ftp/sftp protocol.

At the very least, files can be copied from *some* tahoe directories to the
local filesystem.

Using Nautilus, I can attach to the sftp server. I chose "SSH" as the
connection type (this will need to be documented).

In Nautilus, I can double-click on a file, and Eye of the Gnome will open
it.... Gimp will open it.