[tahoe-dev] browser-based download client

Jody Harris havoc at harrisdev.com
Sun Feb 7 15:35:52 PST 2010

Is there an "official" wishlist for Tahoe features? I know that opening that
door is asking for trouble, but there is a chance that someone actually
thinks they want that trouble.

For the wishlist:
 - Browser-based download(-only) client.

I know we've talked about this before, but even though the reality of
building it is beyond the next horizon, but I sometimes think it's helpful
to lay down the specs for these kinds of dream projects in case they ever
become a reality.

 - Point it at the introducer
 - Give it the capabilities through HTML
 - Have it directly download shares from the grid (as opposed to having a
node reconstituted the file and then send it.
....hmmm
 - I guess you could build the URL as something like:
   pb://introducercap@servername
:33386/introducer/file/filecap/@@named=/IMG_6947.jpg
The client would have to disentangle the introducer and the cap/filename.

This would
 - Distribute bandwidth load
 - send shares to the client from "close" nodes (as of the 1.6 code)

If the publisher was more interested in widely casting the shares over the
grid, they could change n and k to 2 and 50, which (given the appropriate
grid geographics) would spread the shares widely over the internet. I like
the idea.

Just thinking.

jody
----
- Think carefully.
- Contra mundum - "Against the world" (St. Athanasius)
- Credo ut intelliga - "I believe that I may know" (St. Augustin of Hippo)