[tahoe-dev] On Tahoe's protocol

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Feb 10 11:32:41 PST 2010

lambdaq at gmail.com wrote:
>  does tahoe protocol implement something like Information Dispersal
> Algorithms, like the stuff we used in RAID5 disks?

Yes, Tahoe uses a Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction code:
<http://www.usenix.org/events/fast/tech/full_papers/plank/plank_html/>

("Information Dispersal Algorithm" is strictly speaking a specific FEC
algorithm described in [Rabin1989], although that term is often used
generically to mean any FEC.)

[Rabin1989]
   M. O. Rabin. "Efficient dispersal of information for security,
   load balancing, and fault-tolerance." Journal of the ACM,
   Vol 36 issue 2, April 1989, pp 225-348.
   <http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.116.8657>