[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #947: Add file-with-metadata caps

Justin Stottlemyer justin.h.stottlemyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 21:12:18 PST 2010

I'll start off with mentioning that I'm attempting to build an extremely low
cost (but reliable) storage platform for Shutterfly.com.  If I can drive
costs down I can enable the business to store more data more cheaply and
expand the business further.

I've been considering dozens of potential DFS candidates.  I'm open to
everything. Closed source commercial products to fully unsupported open
source. I'm ok buying support, or hiring engineers to hack on it for me.

I'm looking at very  inexpensive and dense systems, I've already had a few
of these built
http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

 I'm hopefully not going to have to do my own hardware support, but it may
end up making sense. I'm still figuring that portion out and in negotiations
with vendors and manufacturers.

I've been having some discussions with drive vendors and at this point 4T
and 8T drives are right around the corner.  Anyone that has ever waited on a
2T drive rebuild knows that RAID is not going to be an option for large
drives moving forward.   Rebuild times will range from days to weeks. This
is an unacceptable amount time to have unprotected data.

The only options at scale at this point are RAIN style erasure coding and
object style stores that recover N Objects from Y Nodes.

I had looked at TahoeFS earlier and started to write it off as a darknet
WAREZ based DFS. Some of this was based on some blackhat style conversations
and also the documentation being very unclear on sourceforge and freshmeat
as to where the actual repository was located.

When I recently got the new time lines on drives I decided that I had to
commit to erasure coding sooner rather than later.

-- Justin