[tahoe-dev] IRC isn't a reliable way to learn about Tahoe-LAFS

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jul 26 19:32:58 UTC 2010

Dear <pe>:

Um, was this you?

<pe> Hi. Is there a way to perform 'tahoe deep-check --repair --add-lease
       URI' where URI does not reveal the actual contents of the files? I need
       that because I'd like to run deep-check on a non-trustworthy machine,
       so I don't want to reveal the directory read/write caps on that host.
<so> pe: It works for immutable files, but not for the rest
<so> Well, maybe for immutable dirs too
<pe> so: Where I do I get the appropriate capability to run
       deep-check? Is that the "directory verifycap" I see in the web
       front-end?
<so> pe: I guess so, but I never tried it.
<pe> so: Okay, thanks.
*** pet () has left channel #tahoe-lafs: "back to work"

You probably shouldn't use short visits to the IRC channel to answer
questions because you'll get incomplete or slightly wrong answers.
Lingering in the channel might help, but also you should be aware that
we try to focus on the mailing list, the issue tracker (trac), and the
documents as the way to manage knowledge, and answers you get on IRC
might not be reliable.

Anyway, <so> was wrong that repair works on immutable files and
directories given a verify cap to the thing—instead you require a
read-cap to the thing. Repair also works on mutable files and
directories given a write-cap to the thing (which means you can't let
someone repair a mutable thing while withholding from them the ability
to read it and even to change it).

See http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Capabilities .

If you would be so kind as to add a comment about how you want this
feature, to these tickets, then that would help us prioritize future
work:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/308# add directory
traversal / deep-verify capability?
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/568# make immutable
check/verify/repair and mutable check/verify work given only a verify
cap
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/625# Can't repair
read-only dirnodes/mutable-files