[tahoe-dev] Why pyutils isn't well known

Ravi Pinjala ravi at p-static.net
Wed Jul 28 03:18:46 UTC 2010

On 07/27/10 01:24, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Ravi Pinjala <ravi at p-static.net> wrote:
>> I'd like to second this - not trying to be harsh here, but a package
>> where the description is basically "contains good code!" is next to useless.
>

> All right, all right! So, here's a list of the files:
>
> http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/pyutil/browser/trunk/pyutil
>
> At some point I will browse through this list and add a bullet-point
> about each file to the README.
>
> Someone else could do this if they want to help. Most files have a
> docstring or comment at the top briefly describing what it is. If you
> want to help with this, you can just write a bullet-point for each
> file whose purpose is clear to you, and make a list of the names of
> all files whose purpose is unclear to you and it will be my job to add
> doc of each file on that list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko

memutil.py - Tools for analyzing memory usage of Python code.

nummedobj.py - Allows objects to be numbered uniquely in debug output.

observer.py - Implementation of the Observer design pattern.

odict.py - Implementation of an ordered dict.

PickleSaver.py - Allows you to make all or part of an object persistent,
by saving it to disk when it's garbage collected.

platformutil.py - Identifies the currently running OS platform.

randutil.py -
 * Actually, not sure what this one accomplishes. Also, is it just me or
does it define SHA256Random twice?

repeatable_random.py - Makes the random and time modules deterministic,
so that executions can be reproducible.

strutil.py - Assorted string utilities.

testutil.py -
 * Not sure what this one does either.

time_format.py - Performs various date and time formatting operations.

twistedutil.py - Provides callLater_weakly, a variant of Twisted's
callLater which interacts more nicely with weakrefs.

version_class.py - Displays different styles of version numbers
depending on the type of release.
 * Actually, not sure about this one.

weakutil.py - Contains a utility function to handle bound methods in a
way that interacts more nicely with weakrefs.

zlibutil.py - Provides safer zlib compression.

The usual caveat: These are all the result of a quick skim of the code,
and should probably be double-checked for errors and outright
misunderstandings.

--Ravi