[tahoe-dev] where has all my disk space gone

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Sat Jun 26 15:03:59 PDT 2010

On 6/25/10 11:59 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

> i am down 20g since reboot.  /private/var/vm content has been constant.
>
> rmac.psg.com:/Users/randy> du -s .tahoe
> 52      .tahoe

Weird! Tahoe only touches the disk underneath it's base directory (which
is ~/.tahoe by default), so if du doesn't show anything there, and if
you don't have any symlinks pointing off to somewhere else (which I
frequently do when I need to put the large .tahoe/storage/shares
directory on some other partition), then the usage isn't coming from disk.

If it's coming from swap, i.e. because a process is using a tremendous
amount of virtual memory, then killing the process should immediately
free it up. Also 'top' or 'ps aux' should quickly reveal the culprit.

Rebooting a unix box typically deletes everything in /tmp , so if you're
seeing it come back on reboot, you might want to poke around in /tmp and
see if there are large files in there.

let us know what you find!