[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS performance for web hosting

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sun Jun 27 22:00:15 PDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brendan O'Connor <ussjoin at ussjoin.com>
Date: Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM
Subject: Tahoe-LAFS as Host
To: Zooko O'Whielacronx <zookog at gmail.com>

Since we were talking about Tahoe-LAFS's performance re: hosting my website
the other day, I thought I'd point you at some numbers.

Your klog: <http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100627_JWV/1/details/>
My homesite: <http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100627_JWY/1/details/>

Note that it's the 1.2 seconds before the *first byte of the klog*
that has me concerned. (As the page notes, I have a bunch of things I
ought to be doing differently-- but part of that is that I've pulled
some of the caching layers, in preparation for shutting down the
entire MT instance, hopefully this weekend. The big caching thing is
all the little icons, though.)

Anyway, not that I'm criticizing Tahoe-LAFS's performance overall-- just
pointing out why I can't use it as a primary site host yet. (Here's
Google's article on it:
<http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html>
)

---BFO