[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS GUI?

slush slush at centrum.cz
Tue Jun 29 16:01:52 PDT 2010

Hello,

As I'm using Tahoe for a while, Im still missing something like
Vidalia for Tor - (multiplatform) control panel running in tray, which
give me overall information about my node activities.

I know there is something for Windows, but I have been never
succesfull to compile and run that. I also have feelings that pure
Windows client is outside a current scope of project (as I'm probably
solitary user of Windows far away :-).

I found interesting information about current activity in Tahoe's
logging feature, althought it needs some filters to be usable for end
user. But without something like this, Tahoe is blackbox for me.

I have few ideas what should be in this control center and I'm asking
you, if something like this exists or even if there is a demand from
another users. Main target should be "easy usage of Tahoe for end
users".

-------------------------

Main ideas:

1) Configuration of node and storage server (setting up introducer,
helper, nick, tub location and port, enable FTP/SFTP frontends,
enabling storage and setting up reserved size)

2) Check of node connectivity from outside (if everything is
configured properly). Possibly add upnp support (as we have working
code in trac, but it isn't in tahoe itself) - btw I check miniupnpc
and it works properly on both my lowend routers.

3) Starting / stopping client

4) FTP/SFTP account management, ssl key generator (90% users are not
able to generate key pairs by self)

5) Log gatherer from tahoe & some filters to make it sane for end users

6) Bandwidth monitoring - how much data transfered, what avg speed etc
(I'm don't sure if it is possible to compute exactly just from logs)

7) And finally? Auto "add lease & repair" feature for user's main dircaps.

I'm satisfied with Tahoe storage features, but all these things I'm
missing from view of common user, not common hacker. Of course >I'm<
able to add FTP account by editing files, but if I want to invite my
friends to friendnet, currently I have to pick the best hackers of
them (or install them it personally which I don't prefer :-).

Thanks,
Marek

P.S. How do you solve "add leases & repair"? Really all of you write
own crontab runners and result parsers, just like me?