[tahoe-dev] Read-only Tahoe node

David Triendl david at triendl.name
Mon Oct 4 15:03:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 08:19:31AM -0600, Shawn Willden wrote:
> My thought is that perhaps I can add a "read-only" node into a grid.  This
> node would disable all elements of the WUI that can be used to create
> mutable or immutable files, and its "welcome" page would not display the
> introducer or helper FURLs.
For my node that provides the read-only interface at volunteergrid.org, I
simply added a reverse proxy (nginx, but others should work too) that only
allows GET requests, as well as denies access to the index page (which would
leak the introducer and helper furls).

It's not as "pretty" as telling Tahoe to be read-only, but since Tahoe is
mostly REST-based it works just as well. I am not even sure if adding a "hide
introducer furl"-mode is the right way to go - it would be better to add
storage accounting or add controls to the introducer's web interface for
banning clients.

Cheers,
David