[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #648: collect server capacities and put them on the welcome page, output of 'df' for SFTP, etc.

tahoe-lafs trac at tahoe-lafs.org
Thu Oct 14 20:56:21 UTC 2010

#648: collect server capacities and put them on the welcome page, output of 'df'
for SFTP, etc.
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
     Reporter:  zooko              |       Owner:
         Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new
    Component:  code-frontend-web  |     Version:  1.3.0
   Resolution:                     |    Keywords:  introducer usability statistics sftp
Launchpad Bug:                     |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Comment (by warner):

 Replying to [comment:9 davidsarah]:
 > The code that determines what SFTP outputs for 'df' is at lines
 [source:src/allmydata/frontends/sftpd.py at 4545#L1757 1757] and
 [source:src/allmydata/frontends/sftpd.py at 4545#L1879 1879] of sftpd.py. It
 currently has to fake some values to keep sshfs happy.

 Wait, what? What's the relationship between server-space available and the
 number that SFTP reports as available to any given client? Not trivial, I
 think.

 If we do this, let's make it clear that we're providing only a very rough
 approximation of the client-side space. Adding together all of the raw
 server space and dividing by the expansion factor is pretty rough,
 especially with the servers-of-happiness change (e.g. one server has 14TB
 free, but you can't upload anything because everyone else is full: SFTP
 should announce 0).

 Also let's make room for Accounting APIs to generate this data (since
 really it's a function of accounting: how much space an individual "user"
 is allowed to consume, which may be far less than the sum of all server
 capacities). At least let's be thinking in that direction when we name the
 functions.

--
Ticket URL: <http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/648#comment:12>
tahoe-lafs <http://tahoe-lafs.org>