[tahoe-dev] Debian packages?

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Wed Apr 20 06:38:30 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 09:16:39AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander at chadok.info> writes:
>
> > Le 20 Apr 2011 14:38, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org a écrit:
> >> A configuration system like the one provided by the openvpn Debian package
> >> could be the way to implement that simply:
> >>
> >> /etc/default/tahoe containing a list of nodes to start automatically.
> >>
> >> Each node configuration would lie under a /etc/tahoe/$NAME directory,
> >> owned by the right UID/GID with correct permissions, storage_dir key being
>
> So how does a user who wants to start a client node get to write
> /etc/tahoe/$NAME?  Is there a directory for every user already?  I see
> tahoe client nodes as personal, not system, and treat them more like
> dotfiles than system configuration.

If a user wants his/her own client node, it's still possible to use the old
way : configuration and storage in ~/.tahoe/, the user can still start it.

> >> automatically set to /var/lib/tahoe/$NAME, again with the right UID/GID
> >> and perms.
> >>
> >> The init script would source /etc/default/tahoe, check each node
> >> configuration dir in /etc/tahoe/ and its UID/GID, start each node with
> >> the right options and owners.
>
> That sounds largely reasonable, but it would be really nice if there was
> a multi-node startup script (that su'd to the right user of course) that
> was portable.

That's the idea. Am I not clear when I describe? I begin to ask myself

> The startup script should not force storage_dir; and instead let the
> config file be.  Otherwise "tahoe restart ." would do the wrong thing.

No, storage_dir would be enforced during node creation time, with the
create-node command, if appropriate option is passed, either by the user
or the system configuration tool (i.e debconf would set it to
/var/lib/tahoe/$NAME).

> You may want to patch tahoe to default to setting storage_dir=.  But
> that feels like fighting tahoe's way, where you choose to put a node
> directory someplace.

Nop, default to actual way of working.

bert.