[tahoe-dev] git-annex and tahoe-lafs as a special remote -- in progress and testing

Jimmy Tang jcftang at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 13:00:55 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Jimmy Tang <jcftang at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In short I think the combination of git-annex and tahoe-lafs will give
>> me a pretty reliable backup (between tahoe-lafs redundancy and
>> git-annex's data replication), hope the above helps someone else.
>
> This is cool! I don't understand git-annex very thoroughly, and I
> don't know what you mean, above, by "git-annex's data replication".

git-annex has a notion of "number of copies" of data that can be on
any number of remotes/backends, it's not automatically replicated.
Basically what it means is that I can do a "git annex copy -t library
*" where library can be a tahoe-lafs remote or rsync or whatever
git-annex is configured to use.  I can have copies of data on
different remotes/backends, i.e. one copy of data on tahoe-lafs and
one copy on an external hdd and git annex will keep track of it for
me.

I think git-annex does take abit of reading up before one understands
how its supposed to work and i miss used the term "data replication"
since i enforce replication of my data via shell scripts and cronjobs.

Jimmy

--
http://www.sgenomics.org/~jtang/