[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #1351: Use extended attributes to expose metadata

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Feb 3 02:55:19 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 02:34:19 -0000, tahoe-lafs <trac at tahoe-lafs.org> wrote:
>  {{{
>  % getfattr -n readcap /mnt/pubgrid
>  # file: /mnt/pubgrid
>  readcap="URI:DIR2-RO:xxx...:yyy..."
>  }}}
>
>  At the moment, Tahoe does not support storing extended attributes, so
>  there are no conflicts. However, ticket:947 proposes to add support for
>  storing extended attributes to Tahoe, which would create a namespace
>  conflict for this enhancement. Despite that, we could reserve a prefix for
>  attributes (e.g., "`tahoe.readcap`") and raise an error/warning when such
>  an attribute is asked to be stored.

Well, maybe even storing a cap is useful! After all, it would be kind
of a combined link/rename operation for some unrelated file/directory.

Other than that, xattrs used in that way are a swiss army knife to
interact with Tahoe-LAFS internals in a FUSEd environment.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:           Ich hatte in letzter Zeit ein bißchen viel Realitycheck.