[tahoe-dev] Hash based Signatures for Tahoe LAFS

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Fri Feb 18 00:10:54 PST 2011

[following-up to my own post]

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> A cheap ARM server might have a 1.2 GHz * CPU, so that gives us a
> budget of 60 million instructions per upload, if we could spend 100%
> of the CPU time doing verifications. Let's guess that we need 50% ***
> of the CPU time for other tasks, so now we have only 30 million
> instructions left to do signature verification on each share as it is
> uploaded. Is that achievable with hash-based digital signatures?

P.S. If any of you crypto coders out there are interested in making
this happen then I (or the Tahoe-LAFS project if the leaders thereof
agree) will give you a SheevaPlug [1] and have it mailed to your
house! Speak now before I change my mind or run out of SheevaPlugs to
give out. :-)

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx