[tahoe-dev] "BitTorrent for storage" is a bad idea -- [p2p-hackers] P2P file storage systems

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sun Feb 20 22:51:30 PST 2011

Folks:

For your information, there is discussion of Tahoe-LAFS on the
p2p-hackers list: [1]. Michael Militzer started a discussion on that
list asking for "P2P file storage systems" which were distributed
across a large number of participants and had security.

I earlier mentioned his initial letter to that list on this list, in
the thread on this list about Tahoe-LAFS being confusing and/or
ill-documented, since he appeared to think it didn't have "attack
resistance" and I wondered what he meant by that. His later posts to
the p2p-hackers list such as the one below indicate that he was
thinking of DoS-type attacks on grids with a large number of servers
which are allowed to join a grid and start acting as a server in some
sort of ad hoc fashion, similar to the way BitTorrent lets random
peers join and start acting as content deliverers.

He's right that Tahoe-LAFS doesn't have good defenses against
DoS-style attacks in the case that you entrust your data to a large
number of random hosts that connect to you over the network and offer
to hold your data for you. It isn't a use-case that Tahoe-LAFS is
designed for. In fact it is a use case that we explicitly rejected! I
suspect it is not worth trying to satisfy that use case. (Based partly
on my experiences when I participated in the Mojo Nation, Mnet, and
Allmydata projects which each attempted to support something like that
and failed.)

It works really well to rely on a large group of ad hoc strangers for
getting a copy of a file which they are also currently interested in
(BitTorrent). The same sort of social organization probably does not
work well for storing files persistently.

[1] http://lists.zooko.com/pipermail/p2p-hackers/2011-February/002891.html