[tahoe-dev] Stupid question: How can I keep my own data private?

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Mon Feb 21 04:15:25 PST 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:30, Jim Dorrington wrote:

> I then used firefox to go to the public test grid :-http://127.0.0.1:3456/uri/URI:DIR2:ctmtx2awdo4xt77x5xxaz6nyxm:n5t546ddvd6xlv4v6se6sjympbdbvo7orwizuzl42urm73sxazqa/
>
> And created a folder into which I uploaded a few files.
> I then successfully accessed these files.

This is the point at which your procedure differed from what you need.
The above is not "the public test grid", it is a *specific directory*
on the public test grid which, of course, is widely known.

To keep things private, simply don't upload them into a public
directory. Instead:

(1) Using the web interface: Go to <http://127.0.0.1:3456/>. You will
see forms for "Create a directory" and "Upload a file". If you use
either one of these, you will get a directory or file which is not
linked into any other directory and therefore known only to you, the
uploader, until you share it further. You can then, for example,
bookmark the directory and revisit it later.

(2) Using the command-line interface: In addition to operations like
those above, the command-line client, since it runs as a specific unix
user, can store caps on your behalf. The simplest command to use is
'tahoe create-alias' which creates a new empty directory and remembers
it. For example:

   tahoe create-alias my-data
   tahoe cp test-data/ my-data:backup/

(Tahoe devs: 'tahoe cp --help' mentions an -r option, but then claims
that directories will be copied recursively [by default]. Which is it?)

You can then get the data again with a reversed copy command, or view
it on the web via

   tahoe webopen my-data:

Tahoe stores your aliases in ~/.tahoe/private/aliases.

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>