[tahoe-dev] Windows 7 build error - Python.File class does not exist in the registry - WindowsError(5, 'Access is denied')

Jim Dorrington jdorrington at compuguide.info
Thu Feb 24 02:14:00 PST 2011

@ David-Sarah Hopwood

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

>... please give the more detailed version string
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84297, Aug 24 2010, 18:13:38) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

> - Was Python installed by the usual "Windows X86-64 MSI Installer" from
>   python.org?
Yes. (python-2.6.6.amd64.msi)

>- Have you done anything to change any registry entries associated with
>   Python?
No, but see comment below.

> - Are you running this in a user account that has had its registry
>   permissions restricted more than the default for a normal user account
>   on Win7 ultimate 64-bit?
No. I have full administrator permissions.

There appears to be something peculiar with Python registry permissions.
A search of the registry for "Python.File" located Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File but produced the following error:-
"Error Opening Key: Python.File cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: Access is denied"
Right-clicking the key and selecting permissions produced: "You do not have permission to view the current permission settings for Python.File, but you can make permission changes."
A similar error appears for  the following keys as well:-
Python.CompiledFile & Python.NoConFile
I de-installed and re-installed Python (64-bit) - same result
I repeated the above, but from the command prompt - which I ran "as administrator" - same result
So I de-installed and installed Python (32-bit) instead - same result
I have searched Google for this type of problem but drawn a blank. I can only assume that there is some sort of problem with my configuration.
Unfortunately I don't have a 2nd win7 machine to test it on.
Checking the same registry keys on a Windows XP-(32-bit) does not give a permission problem.
I'm not sure what else I can do but it doesn't look like it's a Tahoe problem - rather a Python installation problem.