[tahoe-dev] Tree frozen! Begin your (testing) engines!

Jimmy Tang jcftang at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 01:27:41 UTC 2011

Hi All,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:

> Ok, the last expected code changes have been committed, so I'm
> officially closing the tree until we get 1.8.2 out the door. All
> checkins must be approved by the release manager (me).
>
> I'm currently aware of three remaining issues that block or appear to
> block the release:
>
>  #668: work is complete, Zooko said he would do some manual testing and
> close
>       the ticket shortly
>
>  #1335: I noticed the buildbot's "tarballs" builder red yesterday, and
>        it turns out the problem is that the "tahoe-deps.tar.gz" tarball
>        was accidentally built incorrectly when it was updated last
>        week. Zooko has agreed to fix this, hopefully today or tomorrow.
>        This blocks 1.8.2 but doesn't require changes to the Tahoe
>        source tree itself.
>
>  "test-with-fake-pkg" buildbot failures: zooko says these are
>    chronically misunderstood, and plans to explain what they really
>    mean in ticket #1239. From my casual observation, it appears that
>    the buildstep fails whenever the host buildslave contains a too-old
>    version of some library that also happens to be a Tahoe dependency
>    (for example Foolscap, or Twisted, which is used by buildbot
>    itself). That doesn't mean *Tahoe* would fail on those hosts, since
>    this buildstep is intended to find out what happens when Tahoe is
>    used in a slightly unusual way. But we would like the whole buildbot
>    to be green, so we'll need to think a bit about how to test the
>    things we care about and also not get false-negatives from our test
>    infrastructure.
>

> I'll be assembling the NEWS entries over the next few days and updating
> other in-tree docs. Now is the time to test, test, test! Please report
> your results #1306, the 1.8.2 release ticket, starting from the
> quickstart.rst instructions. OS packagers, please run your scripts
> against the code in trunk and tell us about any problems you see, so
> that the final release can be packaged smoothly on your OS of choice.
>
> Target release date is in one week: 30-Jan-2011.
>
> counting down!
>  -Brian

I just pulled the latest update from the git mirror of tahoe
(git://github.com/warner/tahoe-lafs.git)

Some of the tests fail

[FAIL]: allmydata.test.test_client.Basic.test_versions

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/jtang/develop/tahoe-lafs/src/allmydata/test/test_client.py",
line 159, in test_versions
    self.failIfEqual(str(allmydata.__version__), "unknown")
twisted.trial.unittest.FailTest: 'unknown' == 'unknown'
[FAIL]: allmydata.test.test_runner.BinTahoe.test_path

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/jtang/develop/tahoe-lafs/src/allmydata/test/test_runner.py",
line 147, in _cb
    "We don't know our version, because this distribution didn't come "
twisted.trial.unittest.FailTest: We don't know our version, because
this distribution didn't come with a _version.py and 'setup.py
darcsver' hasn't been run.
Ran 839 tests in 499.024s

FAILED (skips=8, expectedFailures=3, failures=2, successes=826)
make: *** [test] Error 1

The system I tested on was OSX 10.6.6 and I've used the system version
of python (even more tests fail when i use python27 and friends from
macports)

If you need more verbose debugging or testing on a different
repo/branch please let me know.

Thanks,
Jimmy.

--