[tahoe-dev] _darcs-centric setup.py (was: Tree frozen! Begin your (testing) engines!)

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon Jan 24 08:06:42 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Jimmy Tang <jcftang at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just pulled the latest update from the git mirror of tahoe
>> (git://github.com/warner/tahoe-lafs.git)
>>
>> Some of the tests fail
>>
>> [FAIL]: allmydata.test.test_client.Basic.test_versions
>> [FAIL]: allmydata.test.test_runner.BinTahoe.test_path
>
> I know quoting myself is bad, but it's seems I just miss interpreted
> the tests, I think the tests failed because I wasn't using the darcs
> repo, pulling the latest updates from the darcs repo and running the
> tests on my machine pass.

Yeah, as you noticed, the build infrastructure is currently pretty
darcs-centric (it assumes that you either have a _darcs/ directory, or
you have a tarball with a pre-generated _version.py file).

What I do in my git tree is to create a fake _version.py, either by hand
or by copying one from a darcs-derived tree (it gets built as a
side-effect of the 'setup.py build' command). That won't always be
accurate, and won't auto-update when you do 'git pull', but it does
allow the tests to pass.

I hope to fix this in the 1.9.0 timeframe, either by changing setup.py
to notice either .git/ or _darcs/ and act accordingly, or by talking
everyone into moving over to Git altogether :).

Thanks for the test report!

cheers,