[tahoe-dev] Tahoe 1.8.2 installation error on Window XP 32bit

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jun 13 09:31:11 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Shu Lin <linshu at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I just like to confirm that
> 1, Is pywin the root cause of my problem? I didn't install that on my
> new Windows XP virtual machine.
> 2, Is pywin needed for any Windows platform, XP, vista, windows 7?

pywin32 is no longer needed, but as David-Sarah noticed your install
got an older version of Twisted and that older version of Twisted
requires pywin32. But why did your build get an older version of
Twisted? Oh, I see why:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs/README.html

Look in the "Python 2.6" table for the "windows-x86" row and the
"Twisted" column. Twisted-8.2.0 is the version of the distribution
that we have there.

I've gotten a volunteer -- Pavel PenguinOfDoom from the #twisted IRC
channel -- to build a new Twisted-11.0.0 egg for win32 for py26. I'll
upload that to the tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs site and then this problem will
stop happening for users on Win32 using Python 2.6.