[tahoe-dev] Tahoe 1.8.2 installation error on Window XP 32bit

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jun 13 16:03:43 PDT 2011

Dear Shu Lin:

Thank you for your letter.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Shu Lin <linshu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a naive python question. Why not we package Tahoe with a stable
> python package (either 2.6 or 2.7) in an Windows installation script
> or executable for all the Windows platform? I think it is too hard for
> most non-technical people to going through the current Installation
> guides to figure out all the dependency of Tahoe, twisted, MingGW etc.

Well, the intent is that they shouldn't have figure out the
dependencies because the build script should automatically fetch all
the binary packages it needs, but in practice something often goes
wrong. The most recent thing that went wrong is what is happening to
you and I don't yet understand it. Perhaps we could fix it by
upgrading the version of Twisted win32 py26 binary egg hosted on our
server. More diagnostics from you (as I requested in my previous post
just now) would help us understand that.

However, it would also be a great idea to put together a
self-contained distribution of Tahoe-LAFS. That would be a really nice
improvement if we could have it in the upcoming Tahoe-LAFS v1.9.0
release. It just needs someone to do the work to implement it and
document it. Interested in helping? :-) Start with tickets #585 and
#1093.

tickets mentioned in this message:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1093# win32 build hell
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/585# make it work with bbfreeze