[tahoe-dev] public backup grid

green greenfreedom10 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 20:59:03 PDT 2011

The tahoe-lafs package just appeared in Debian repositories.  This looks
quite interesting!

In the past I have looked for (and failed to find) a solution for a volunteer
grid/cloud approach to backups, where I make say 1TB of space available for
grid use and am then permitted to use a certain fraction of that for my own
backups.  Basically just the thing tahoe-lafs is designed for.

Okay, so searching for actual grid backup implementations, I find these:
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/VolunteerGrid
http://bigpig.org/

Two great ideas, but maximum 20 servers for each.  Only one mentions a
mailing list, and subscription is moderated and archives are private.  Why
the secrecy, and why the limit?  If a grid is better with fewer members, why
can a project not have multiple grids?