[tahoe-dev] any progress on rebooting the Test Grid?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Wed Jun 22 07:48:09 PDT 2011

Folks:

According to the Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News Episode Two [1] Charles Wyble
offered to take over maintenance of the public demo Test Grid. Have
you started taking over, Charles? Does anyone else want to volunteer
to help Charles?

The Test Grid is went off-line a day or two ago. I heard from Peter
Secor that he received a takedown request from Sony because there was
a copy of a file that Sony claimed someone had claimed to have stolen
from Sony. Technically, if you receive such a takedown request (in the
USA) you need to quickly remove access to that particular file and
then you can if you like challenge the validity of the request and
then the burden of proof shifts to the requestor to prove that the
file is something that you may not host. However, I assume that David
Triendl (who is located in Austria), who was the actual operator of
the public demo gateway, didn't feel like dealing with the hassle and
just took down the gateway.

Anyway, I think it would be cool if we had the live public demo
gateway back up so that visitors to http://tahoe-lafs.org who clicked
on "Try Tahoe-LAFS on the web!" got to see a live demo gateway instead
of the current error message.

[1] http://tahoe-lafs.org/~zooko/TWN2.html