[tahoe-dev] debian package: initscript and FHS

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Mon May 2 09:25:57 PDT 2011

Hi,

I've worked on the tahoe debian package those times.

I've actually ported zfec's ubuntu package to Debian, it's uploaded on
mentors.debian.net and should be sponsored soon by Micah.

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/z/zfec

I've also worked a bit more on having nodes handled by the system. I
actually have an intiscript largely inspired by the one from openvpn in
Debian. It supports each node to have a particular user, or not.

Last step to have this package really in a good shape to be integrated
into Debian would be the FHS issue, so I'm thinking about how to implement
this.

I could just patch the source code in the Debian package using quilt, but
that would diverge too much from the upstream's one. I'd prefer to have a
way to include it upstream (if you don't mind ;]).

So I wanted to open a thread with you about this :

- Should I push this initscript somewhere (like in a feature/init branch
 in the debian package's git), so that you can have a look and maybe
 include it in the upstream tarball. If so, where do you think I should
 put it in the tahoe-lafs sources (inside the contrib/
 sub-directory maybe,...) ?

- About the FHS issue, I was considering several options : having
 configuration options for the logs/, storage/ and tmp/ directories, but
 that would require to add a lot more options to the create-node command
 (although some auto-detection if running on Debian might configure it
 almost automatically), or having only one configuration option, like
 `debian_layout = true`, that would help tahoe to know  where its
 different parts resides on the system. Which way sounds best to you? Or
 did you already have some ideas/alternative ways about this?

Thanks

bert.