[tahoe-dev] 1.9.0 tarball broken

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Nov 9 03:53:51 UTC 2011

On 11/8/11 4:22 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> The 1.9.0 tarball is different from the 1.9.0b1 tarball;
> files/directories are 0600/0700, while in 1.9.0b1 they are the more sane
> 0644/0755.   The standard install seems to copy them as is, resulting in
> root-owned files in the package that are unreadable by mere mortals.
>
> We've had this issue before, and I'm not sure if there is a bug open
> about the tarball creation process - certainly things like permissions
> in the tarball should be deterministic.

Oops. I think I used our recipe's "python setup.py sdist" step to create
the tarballs, but if that does the wrong thing with file nodes, then
maybe we need to fix the recipe. I'll make a note to write a
"make_release_tarballs.py" script, put it in the tree, and include a
self-test that opens up the newly-generated tarball and checks the
permissions.

For 1.9, I'll make a new (fixed) tarball and put it up in the same place
as the old one. I'll send out mail with the new hashes when I do that
(maybe tomorrow).

cheers,