[tahoe-dev] How do I do an immutable tree upload?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Nov 26 14:30:26 UTC 2011

  It seems to me that the right thing here is a command which will
  upload the entire file tree (preferably with exclusions) immutably (to
  minimize duplication when I upload with changes) and return a dircap
  for it. What 'tahoe' arguments will do this?

  'tahoe cp' requires a target directory and does not appear to produce
  immutable directories. 'tahoe put' does not appear to do
  directories. 'tahoe backup' requires a target directory and keeps old
  versions.

Not what you asked, but to me this is a symptom of "mounting taho as a
filesystem is not the standard approach".  You are using tahoe as a
filesystem and then struggling with the not-quite-standard-filesystem
tools that are available, rather than mounting it and just using rsync
or cp -R, much like you would put content on any other filesystem.

Doing that would then expose that POSIX filesystems do not have a clear
notion of mutable/immutable, and we'd then have to figure out how to
deal with that.  Perhaps open with O_WRONLY would create immutable, and
open with O_RDWR would create mutable.  It would also expose that we
need a mkrootdir call (that returns a dircap somehow), but my belief is
that we'll be in a better place having worked through those issues.