[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS Logo selection

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Oct 17 12:53:58 PDT 2011

I'd just like to remind everyone that I'm actively soliciting your
opinion about the Tahoe-LAFS logo.

There's a meme in the software engineering world called "bikeshed"
(http://bikeshed.com ) -- it says that issues which are more
accessible to more people, such as user interface, documentation, and
graphical design, will generate more discussion than issues which are
accessible only to highly specialized experts -- nuclear power
engineering, cryptography, astrophysics.

Some people probably think that this means discussing those issues is
a waste of time. Nothing could be further from the truth! User
interface is important, documentation is important, graphical design
is important. Branding is important.

Issues which are accessible to a wide swathe of users are sometimes
more important than issues which are meaningful to only to a highly
trained elite.

So please feel welcome to express your opinion about the Tahoe-LAFS
logo, user interface, documentation, and anything else that matters to
you about how you learn about and use Tahoe-LAFS.

I notice that Brian Warner hasn't been participating in the bikeshed
discussion about the Tahoe-LAFS logo. On the other hand, he has made
substantial progress on building not one but two nuclear reactors in
the last couple of weeks -- Accounting and HTTP-based transport. I'm
glad that the bikeshed discussion is not distracting him from that.
:-)