[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS Logo selection

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Oct 24 13:44:06 PDT 2011

On 24/10/11 17:53, Dirk Loss wrote:
> On 24.10.11 18:06, Shawn Willden wrote:
>> One comment, though:  Under the default parameters, it's 7 out of 10
>> that can fail, not 3 out of 10.
>
> Oh yes, of course. My bad. :(

Actually, with the default parameters, 4 out of 10 can fail while
guaranteeing to preserve the data. shares.happy - shares.needed = 4.

(The circles could be reinterpreted as shares rather than servers, but
that's not particularly intuitive.)

I really think that this matters and that we should not be claiming
that (shares.total-shares.needed) servers can fail. I've been trying
to fix anywhere that this mistake is made in the docs.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥ http://davidsarah.livejournal.com