[tahoe-dev] configuring sqlite efficiency and durability

Wim Lewis wiml at hhhh.org
Wed Dec 5 04:31:49 UTC 2012

On 12/3/12 6:13 PM, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> So in short, I'm in favor of using synchronous=NORMAL,
> journal_mode=WAL for all current uses of sqlite in Tahoe-LAFS. Let me
> know if you see a flaw in this reasoning!

Did you consider the TRUNCATE or PERSIST journal modes? I had a problem
with performance of an sqlite database which was ameliorated by using
those modes --- on my filesystem at least, the operation of
deleting/creating the journal file was much more expensive than writing
blocks to it (and extending/truncating it was also moderately expensive).