[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS as web server file backend?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Dec 23 00:21:38 UTC 2012

Alfonso Montero López <amontero at tinet.org> writes:

> Now I'm at another different thing. Thinking in ditributed/clustered
> web serving, I wonder what would be the best way to use Tahoe-LAFS as
> the file backend, if possible. I mean, you throw a bunch of webservers
> at the front, say Apache or nginx and point their webroots to a
> locally stored tahoe cap and serve/run files and scripts from there
> (PHP, for instance). Let's leave MySQL for another story :)

It seems people suggest this from time to time, but I don't understand
it.  What problem are you trying to solve?  Do you have more bits to
serve on the web than fit on the web server, and you want to use
untrusted storage?  Perhaps you could explain your requirements and how
that leads you to use tahoe as a back end.

(I have been using tahoe for backup, and thinking about being able to
use it as a distributed filesystem, but I have not gotten to making the
fuse interface straightforward enoguh for my needs, so I'm not.)