[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS as web server file backend?

Alfonso Montero López amontero at tinet.org
Sun Dec 23 16:55:33 UTC 2012

Hi all.

I was just thinking in a web server redundancy and/or load balancing
scenario, but having a hot-standby server it's another good use case.
It's not a matter of capacity, I would like every web server to have
the entire web root available locally to make it be as performant as
possible. Having remote dircaps mounted someway could be fit for other
applications I can't think of now. By Greg's comment, makes me think
that perhaps tahoe's encryption adds too much overhead and it's an
overkill.
However, Miles made a very good point in another feature I haven't
thought of. Each user's home dir would be just another dircap, and the
entire tahoe architecture would fit beautifully for handling user
separation and security. As tahoe is now, you should trust the users
somehow for space abuse, but that's a WIP in the accounting side. That
makes tahoe's encryption have sense again.
I'm still not sure if what I propose is too much overhead
performace-wise or an overkill approach. Maybe I'm dreaming awake :)

Alfonso M. L.