[tahoe-dev] TWN23

Patrick R McDonald marlowe at antagonism.org
Sat Jan 28 04:54:36 UTC 2012

Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News, issue number 23, January 28, 2012

Welcome to the Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News (TWN).  Tahoe-LAFS_ is a secure,
distributed storage system. `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_.
If you would like to view the "new and improved" TWN, complete with pictures;
please take a `look`_.

.. _Tahoe-LAFS: https://tahoe-lafs.org
.. _View TWN on the web: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/TahoeLAFSWeeklyNews
.. _look: https://tahoe-lafs.org/~marlowe/TWN23.html

Announcements and News
======================

TWN Scribe Strives to Become Developer Part 4

Well I seem to understand Git properly, or at the very least pull requests.
My requests for tickets `#1407`_ and `#1660`_ were both accepted.  I am
really enjoying how get works and uses branches in practice makes the concept
much easier to understand than any amount of reading ever did.  Now I simply
make a branch for each ticket on which I work and away I go.

There may be a slight delay in my coding over the next month.  I sold my
house and bought a new one.  Prepping the first house, the move and
establishing ourselves in the new place should eat up a majority of my time.
So for a bit, no coding for me.  I will see about submitting my progress as a
patch and maybe someone can develop the unit test in the mean time.

.. _`#1407`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1407
.. _`#1660`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1660

- From the tahoe-dev Mailing List
===============================

Announcement: lafs-rpg - Restrictive Proxy Gateway

Nathan |nathan|  `announced`_ the release of `lafs-rpg`_.  lafs-rpg provides a
"locked-down" webapi which the public can use to retrieve content from a
Tahoe-LAFS network, while minimizing the risk to the operator of the webapi.
Nathan accomplishes this through the use of haproxy HTTP redirection and
access control rules.  Nathan created `#1665`_ to brainstorm webapi
vulnerabilities between the operator and a user and between users.  There is
also a `live demo`_.

.. |nathan| image:: nwilcox.jpg
   :height: 35
   :alt: Nathan Wilcox
.. _`announced`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-January/007010.html
.. _`lafs-rpg`: https://bitbucket.org/nejucomo/lafs-rpg/overview
.. _`#1665`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1665
.. _`live demo`: https://con.struc.tv/

help wanted: package Tahoe-LAFS for Fedora 17

We would like to `package Tahoe-LAFS for Fedora 17`_.  Fedora |fedora|
developer Toshio Kuratomi generously offered to approve the upload and mentor
any people who volunteer to package Tahoe-LAFS.  I already `volunteered`_,
anyone else care to join me?  All the dependencies are already packaged.

.. _`package Tahoe-LAFS for Fedora 17`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-January/007005.html
.. |fedora| image:: Logo_fedoralogo.png
   :height: 35
   :alt: Fedora Project
   :target: http://www.fedoraproject.org
.. _`volunteered`:
   https://twitter.com/#!/antagonismorg/status/161814314578231296

Patches Needing Review of the Week
==================================

There is one (1) ticket still needing review for 1.9.2:

* `#1648`_: assertion failure 'assert len(self._active_readers) >=
  self._required_shares' in mutable retrieve

There are five (5) tickets still needing review for 1.10:

* `#393`_: mutable: implement MDMF
* `#1265`_: New Visualizer is insufficiently labelled/documented (plus layout
  problem)
* `#1398`_: make docs/performance.rst more precise and accurate
* `#1566`_: if a stored share has a corrupt header, other shares held by that
  server for the file should still be accessible to clients
* `#1569`_: rerecord and review pluggable backends for landing on trunk

.. _`#1648`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1648
.. _`#393`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/393
.. _`#1265`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1265
.. _`#1398`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1398
.. _`#1566`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1566
.. _`#1569`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1569

- ----

*The Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News is published once a week by The Tahoe-LAFS*
*Software Foundation, President and Treasurer: Peter Secor* |peter|
*. Scribes: Patrick "marlowe" McDonald* |marlowe| *, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn*
|zooko| *, Editor: Zooko.* `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_
*. Send your news stories to* `marlowe at antagonism.org`_ *— submission
deadline: Friday night.*

.. _marlowe at antagonism.org: mailto:marlowe at antagonism.org
.. |zooko| image:: zooko.png
   :height: 35
   :alt: zooko
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs
.. |brian| image:: warner.png
   :height: 35
   :alt: brian
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs
.. |peter| image:: psecor.jpg
   :height: 35
   :alt: peter
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs
.. |marlowe| image:: marlowe-x75-bw.jpg
   :height: 35
   :alt: marlowe
   :target: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AboutUs

- --
| Patrick R. McDonald                       GPG Key: A2D1E972  |
| https://www.antagonism.org/         <marlowe at antagonism.org> |
|                               <mcdonald.patrick.r at gmail.com> |
|                         <patrick at opensecurityfoundation.org> |
| Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium           |