[tahoe-dev] newbie question

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Jul 30 18:34:16 UTC 2012

On 30/07/12 13:13, erpo41 at gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2012 5:37 AM, "Greg Troxel" <gdt at ir.bbn.com <mailto:gdt at ir.bbn.com>> wrote:
>     <erpo41 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>     >> There should be a command-line version of the status page, but there
>     >> seems not to be.
>     >> I use "wget http://127.0.0.1:3456/ && more index.html" :-)
>     >> Seriously, am I the only one who runs nodes on computers I am not
>     >> sitting at?
>     >
>     > I also run tahoe at a computer I am not sitting at. There is a storage
>     > server on my home network responsible for running tahoe, and it listens on
>     > an address in my private IP range. I call up the web UI from my desktop.
>
>     I never let the tahoe  web gateway listen on other than 127.0.0.1
>
>     > When I'm away from home and want to check my node status, an ssh tunnel
>     > with port forwarding does the job.
>
>     Sure, I can do that too, and have.
>
>     > A CLI status checking command would be cool. However, a better solution
>     > would be to make tahoe so reliable and self-correcting that users don't
>     > ever need to check the status. (I.e. 5-second wizard-based configuration,
>     > automatic firewall/NAT penetration, retry everything until it succeeds or
>     > the world comes to an end, check and repair data automatically, etc...).
>
>     File those tickets!
>
>     But "the introducer is down" isn't self-correctable - my node is fine,
>     as far as I can tell, and the web page shows what's going on instantly.

[...]
> As far as filing tickets, I believe there is a lot of preliminary work to be done
> first--if a person can't troubleshoot a problem, a person can't program a computer to
> troubleshoot that problem. In this case, that means really good error messages and
> diagnostic tools.

Note that there are already some relevant tickets:

"WUI is more useful than CLI"
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1415

"provide more automated setup assistant"
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1498

"implement relay: allow storage servers behind NAT"
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/445

"tcp hole-punching!"
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/169

"'rebalancing manager'"
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/543

"Automatically schedule repair process (and backups?)"
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/643

> I'm happy to write them, but having to learn darcs takes it from "fun
> programming time" into "work" territory for me, and the docs say that the git bridge is
> not 100% yet.

Don't worry about having to learn darcs or the status of the bridge; git patches are
welcome.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥