[tahoe-dev] ANN: grid-updates 1.1.3

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Sat Jun 30 22:28:10 UTC 2012

On 30/06/12 20:59, darrob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think it might be time to give a quick update to the status of
> grid-updates, a Tahoe-LAFS helper program that I introduced here a while
> ago.
>
> At the time grid-updates was a shell script.  Since then we have
> rewritten it in Python, so it now works on all platforms that Tahoe-LAFS
> runs on.  It also allowed us to do a couple of other things more like
> Tahoe: we now use JSON subscription lists and an INI format config file.
>
> grid-updates' purpose is to help hold together Tahoe-LAFS grids,
> especially public, volunteer-only grids.  It does so by downloading
> critical information from the grid.  It's core feature is downloading
> and updating the node's introducer list.  Additionally it can download
> news feeds from the grid.  (We successfully use this to inform users of
> their wrongly configured nodes, for example.)
>
> Subscription based repairs are a new feature we've added.  grid-updates
> can download lists of Tahoe shares and repair them.  We wrote this with
> group-owned shares in mind (e.g. public wikis or a group of friends'
> files), but it can obviously be used for any kind of repair.
>
> We're currently testing Tahoe 1.9.2a1 and I'm happy to report that
> grid-updates' web console patch is compatible already.

I looked briefly at the changes to the web UI (which are mainly in
<http://git.repo.i2p.to/w/grid-updates.git/blob/master:/share/welcome.xhtml.patched19>),
and they look like something we want to have in upstream Tahoe.
Actually, they almost exactly implement
<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1369>.

Can you attach your patches to tahoe.css and welcome.xhtml (for 1.9.x)
to that ticket? Am I correct in thinking those are the only patches needed?

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥