[tahoe-dev] Recommendations for minimal RAM usage ?

Johannes Nix Johannes.Nix at gmx.net
Sun Mar 4 23:30:27 UTC 2012

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to minimize or control
RAM usage of a storage node.

Background is that I have a server running on a tiny NAS
system with ARM processor, a DNS-323; Advantages are that it is
very cheap (around 70 EUR for the hardware), very quiet,
uses little power (about 25 W), runs Debian, and has a RAID1 setup
with two Terabyte SATA disks.

The device has 64 MB RAM. Tahoe-storage is the only larger
active process, it runs with a virtual memory
size of about 130 MB and a resident set size of
between 30 % and 50 % of the physical RAM. CPU load
is typically 25 - 60 %, so the machine doesn't look
memory-starved. Network answer times on V2G are reported
to be 290 - 430 ms, this looks okay.

Now, is there some way to minimize RAM usage and make
it a little bit faster?

Johannes