[tahoe-dev] Recommendations for minimal RAM usage ?

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon Mar 5 18:44:16 UTC 2012

On 3/4/12 8:33 PM, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:

> I don't know of any technique that could further reduce it, aside from
> profiling the memory usage and reporting back to this list. If your
> profiling turned up some "low hanging fruit" of wasted memory, then
> perhaps some Tahoe-LAFS developer would be motivated to try reducing
> that.

The storage-server side of Tahoe doesn't really do that much, so I'd be
pleased as punch if it could fit into 10 or 20MB. To do that, I think
we'd need to avoid loading all of the code when we're not running a
client (I'm thinking zfec, pycryptopp, twisted.web, conch, ftp/sftp).
Switching away from foolscap (to HTTP) might help too (or might hurt, if
the crypto needed to replace it is actually bigger).

cheers,