[tahoe-dev] monitoring/visualization (was: What about this?)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Tue Mar 13 21:32:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Ted Rolle, Jr. <stercor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or, is this functionality already built into Tahoe-LAFS?

What sort of monitoring functionality are you interested in, Ted? What
data do you want to see?

There is the "Download Performance Graphs" in the Tahoe client. Check
it out! It contains lots of information.

There is also the "/statistics" page served up by the Tahoe client
that shows a few statistics about uploads and downloads.

There are munin plugins in the source tree:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/git/misc/operations_helpers/munin

I'm not sure, but I think that those plugins are the source of these
graphs of volunteergrid2:

https://vg2-stats.rosenkeller.org/

Least Authority Enterprises has set up some basic monitoring of our
services with zenoss:

https://monitoring.leastauthority.com

(username: guest, password: guest)

We haven't yet published the configuration and scripts that we use to
run that monitoring server. We intend to do so. If you care about such
details let us know on this list and this will encourage us to
prioritize publishing it.

A couple of tahoe-lafs contributors, Nejucomo Wilcox and Leif Ryge,
work at StatMover -- http://statmover.com/ -- which is making a
database and JavaScript visualization tool:
https://bitbucket.org/0x0000/saturnalia/wiki/Home I'd like to see
Tahoe-LAFS statistics graphed in that thing. The demos of it make it
seem fun to explore data in it.

So the first question from your perspective, Ted, is probably "What do
I want to know?".