[tahoe-dev] #466 (signed-introducer-announcements) landed!

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Wed Mar 14 20:35:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:

> Much cool stuff!
>

> Open questions:
>
> * serverids currently include a short version marker: the "v0-" in
>  "v0-fcmgu663rdyshncihts4e45rtwjwvc7ebcrtlaiv345yyps667pq". Does that
>  get in the way of cut-and-paste? Would it be better to use something
>  like "v0fcmgu663rdyshncihts4e45rtwjwvc7ebcrtlaiv345yyps667pq"? When we
>  abbreviate these in places like the FileChecker results page (to
>  identify specific servers), is there a way to get the v0- out of the
>  abbreviated form? (maybe use a "-v0"/"v0" suffix? maybe define the
>  abbreviated form to skip the prefix, so this example appears as just
>  "fcmgu"?)

I think a suffix version, or an abbreviated form, would be very helpful.
 When trying to understand grid behavior through the WUI I often find
myself looking at the first few characters of each ID.  Prefixing all of
them with a common string would required me to search past the common part
to find, which wouldn't be difficult, but would slow me down.  A suffix
wouldn't matter, and an abbreviated form might be best of all.

--
Shawn