[tahoe-dev] Safely defined.

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Wed Mar 14 21:39:03 UTC 2012

VG2 policy is that we only run released versions, and we don't upgrade
until 2-3 weeks after the release, to let others shake out the bugs.  If a
release can't be safely downgraded, we'll wait longer

But you can always build your own grid for testing.  You can even run a
dozen instances of Tahoe on one box.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Ted Rolle, Jr. <stercor at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Brian:  Define safely.
>
> I'm in a volunteer grid.  Bulletproof code is important for reliability.
> This does *not* reflect your coding ability.
>
> It's a characteristic of large systems.  I've written large systems and
> had unintended consequences from "small, harmless, guaranteed-to-work"
> changes.  But, we didn't have a testing environment as complete as
> Tahoe-LAFS has.  If new code passes the testing suite, it's most probably
> clean.
>
> Change of mind: I like to be on the cutting edge.  I'll put the new code
> into place when it's someone says its safe to do so.
>
> Thanks for all your work,
>
> Ted

Shawn