[tahoe-dev] Logging howto / sftp with hashed passwords

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Fri Mar 23 03:54:30 UTC 2012

2012/3/22 Wolfgang Strobl <news4 at mystrobl.de>:

> Didn't anybody ever try to install according to the instructions in https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/quickstart.rst on a bare machine?

Yes, lots of people do that. That works to install tahoe-lafs and make
the "bin/tahoe" script work. It also installs foolscap, since
tahoe-lafs depends on foolscap, but it does not create a
"bin/flogtool" script (akin to the "bin/tahoe" script), because we
hadn't previously considered flogtool to be part of what tahoe-lafs is
providing.

However, your story illustrates that perhaps we should! Since, after
all, it is necessary to get logging information and our docs instruct
you to use it.

I'm not sure of the best way to do so. The cheapest way out is to add
a line of doc to logging.rst saying "Just because tahoe-lafs uses
foolscap and automatically resolves its dependency on foolscap doesn't
mean that building tahoe-lafs automatically makes a working 'flogtool'
script for you. To get a working 'flogtool', you'll have to install
foolscap manually.".

An interesting possibility would be to extend the "tahoe" script to do
all of the flogtool functionality. This would no doubt go under the
"tahoe debug" sub-command, along with sundry other utilities, and...
oh! There's already a feature of "tahoe debug" that can help with
this. Run "./bin/tahoe debug --help" and read about the "arbitrary
'runner' command". If I understand it correctly, this means that the
following command should run flogtool from any tahoe-lafs directory:

./bin/tahoe @./support/bin/flogtool

Oh, but that will work only if flogtool was written into ./support by
the build process, which will happen only if foolscap was not already
present on your system when you built.

I'm still kind of intrigued about the notion of the "bin/tahoe"
command acquiring all of the functionality of flogtool, because it
makes me wonder if tahoe-specific extensions of flogtool would then
arise. Like, would it be useful to have a command that gatherers logs
from all of your storage servers (those which have opted in by
publishing a logport.furl) and aggregated their logs? Interesting...

I've opened #1693 to track this issue.

tickets mentioned in this letter:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1693# flogtool doesn't
get automatically provided