[tahoe-dev] Potential use for personal backup

Saint Germain saintger at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:07:37 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am new to tahoe-LAFS and I would like to see if I can also use it for backups.
I have read the last month discussion but it is still not really clear for me.

If I have my computer at home and a remote server somewhere, I want to
use 1-out-of-2 configuration in case I lost either of them.
So tahoe-LAFS works in that case basically as Dropbox synchronisation
(with the encryption).
Is there some kind of optimization which only transfer modified parts
to the other nodes, or is the whole file transfer each time it is
modified ? Especially for VM.
Same question for moved files.

Now I want to run backup on the remote server in case I accidentally
delete some files. So I use "tahoe backup" on the server.
But what kind of benefits I got exactly from using tahoe backup ?

If I have a VM of 1 Go that I want to regularly backup on the remote
server. Do I get to use 1 Go on the home computer and 1 Go on the
remote computer for the current version and 1 Go for each backup of
the VM ?
I was interested in bup/obnam/burp/backshift because of the efficient
incremental backup features (deduplication) which could manage this
kind of things very efficiently.

I have to say I am quite impressed by the tahoe-LAFS features. I am
surprise that it doesn't have a much bigger media presence. I am
currently writing an article on new backup softwares on french
linuxfr.org and I may add tahoe-LAFS as well.

Thanks !