[tahoe-dev] Potential use for personal backup

Guido Witmond guido at wtmnd.nl
Tue May 22 22:39:23 UTC 2012

On 22-05-12 22:16, Saint Germain wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:01:58 -0600, "Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn"
> <zooko at zooko.com> wrote :
>
>> I hope this helps! I would very much like to read a letter from you to
>> the tahoe-dev list saying whether you tried to use Tahoe-LAFS, and how
>> you tried to use it, and how well it worked.
>>

> Indeed what I had in mind was not possible with tahoe. It was mainly
> because I couldn't imagine such a radical different approach.
>
> So as I understand it makes no real sense to have a node on my home
> computer and it makes no real sense either to have a single node on my
> remote server. So I have indeed to participate in some kind of
> VolunteerGrid2 (I don't know anyone else as curious as me).
> It's quite a psychological step to "give" your backups to people you
> don't know, even if it is encrypted. But I _do_ understand all the
> advantages.
It still can be a good idea to run a storage node at home, it's part of
the total network and has the advantage of quick access (low latency in
technical terms). If you run you at 1-of-2, it gives you the best of
both worlds, redundant storage *and* fast access. Although to be sure,
you should run your node on a separate hard-disk, just to be sure.
> I suppose that it is possible that I contribute one node to
> VolunteerGrid2 which can be used by my whole family and friends, each
> having its private encrypted store ?
The VolunteerGrid2 requests you operate a node for longer time. As the
other participants will store their data on your node, they would like
to be sure that the churn in nodes is not too high. Otherwise, they
would have to increase their K-of-N ratio to lower the chance of losing
data when you turn off your node. And by increasing the ratio, they
would increase the amount of data to be stored or transferred. That's
why you'ld want a stable grid with low churn.
> The only problem I see, is that I will be limited by the storage
> capacity. The remote server I intend to rent has 2 TB and I was already
> thinking that it was too small for my "group" (5-10 people). I
> understant that it is better on VolunteerGrid2 if I contribute between
> 500 GB and 1 TB ?

> As for testing, I don't have the remote server yet (I am evaluating
> different backup strategy/solutions before doing the jump). So
> unfortunately it would be difficult for me to test right now (I only
> have my laptop which is only connected when I am using it).
I can offer you a 25 GB storage node for testing for a short while, say
a month. It's on my home-adsl with 10Mb/1Mb up- and download speeds.
Don't expect miracles but it should give you an idea what to expect.