[tahoe-dev] Potential use for personal backup

Jean Lorchat jean at iijlab.net
Wed May 23 01:45:08 UTC 2012

Hello,

I just wanted to add my own little perspective about backups.

I'm living in a country that has been shaken by 2+1 almost simultaneous
disasters. So I can tell that multiple nodes is not just an advantage,
it is mandatory. I can't think of something as a backup solution if it
keeps all eggs in the same geographical basket.

And for me, encryption is mandatory as well. It's the only way to make
sure that nobody's peeking (think google drive or your typical free
ad-supported online backup service, ah ah). It allows you to put your
own personal data in places you wouldn't fully trust otherwise
(friend/cloud/rented/hosted). Finally, it allows to make sure that the
data cannot be easily recovered if you lack the key (anyone thinking
megaupload ?).

I am not very familiar with all the backup solutions mentioned here, but
I am pretty sure that Tahoe-LAFS can be a backend for most of them. It
is a very good lower layer for many things !

Cheers,
Jean