[tahoe-dev] Choice of tree-hash

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Oct 2 00:13:02 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-02 5:11 AM, Tony Arcieri wrote:

> I'd prefer to implement blocklists that law enforcement can maintain
> and participants can optionally opt into. Law enforcement agencies can
> then opt into maintaining blocklists of content they consider illegal
> (e.g. child porn, copyrighted movies) and peers who are acting in good
> faith with their particular country's law can opt into these
> blocklists as well.

This presupposes an improbable degree of competence and industry on the
part of law enforcement.

Indeed, we already had this debate.  Google and others proposed
blocklists of files specifically identified by hash, law enforcement and
copyright holders rejected blocklists of specific content as completely
and totally unacceptable, indeed outrageous.  They want to block by
category, rather than block exact specific files identified by hash.