[tahoe-dev] where is meta data store in tahoe?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Oct 27 14:32:13 UTC 2012

  By "metadata", Distributed File Systems folks mean the directory
  structure -- what files are under what paths -- and ownership and
  permission bits and timestamps, and also maybe some information about
  which storage servers are holding which files.

Your post seems entirely accurate to me (unsurprisingly).  But,
hi at guanyu.name may have been inquiring about mod times, utimes,
ownership and permissions.  tahoe doesn't seem to support any of that,
and I think that's 80%+ a direct consequence of the capability semantic
model, and the rest a combination of the data representation and
attitude.  Probably the only thing that 100% clearly makes sense is
having an execute bit; this would be analagous to how git works, where
ownership of files in a repo isn't really meaningful when you have the
repo, but executability still is (even though the owner can chmod).