[tahoe-dev] Owncloud / Tahoe

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Apr 23 14:05:47 UTC 2013

"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zookog at gmail.com> writes:

> What are you trying to do? I'm very interested in making it easier for
> people to start using Tahoe-LAFS, but at the moment I don't understand
> what is complicated about it or if it _is_ actually complicated, or if
> it just seems intimidating until you try it.

I am guessing that he wants file storage space under owncloud (which is
among other things a fileserver) to be backed by tahoe (vs local disk vs
some sort of cloud provider storage).

The natural thing to do would be to mount a tahoe alias onto a VFS
directory, and then use that mount point in owncloud.  But the tahoe
project avoids that, and says it's better for users to use a special
interface, or SFTP, which is sort of like VFS but with more setup steps.

Perhaps if there were a HOWTO that explained how to set up SFTP such
that it could all start up from boot with scripts (with no human
intervention), that would help.  Last I tried it there were passwords
involved in bringing up the SFTP connection.  (which is why I'd like to
see

  mount_tahoe ~/.tahoe:alias ~/tahoe-alias

just work under FUSE.