[tahoe-dev] How to use /bin/tahoe backup

Anders Genell anders.genell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 17:46:19 UTC 2013

Dear list!

Most of our friendnet members are using duplicati to upload backups to our grid, but I'd like to be able to upload files as they are, not lumping the data into 10Mb zipped (optionally encrypted) packages.

I have tentatively investigated the tahoe backup command, but can't really figure out how it works. I tried pointing it to a newly created directory in the grid, and there was a new directory called 'Archives' created in there, but no files showed up while running the backup. Do I need to do something particular to see the files?
Also, the info I could find mentions the backup being immutable, but I'd like to be able to perform incremental backups (as I believe duplicati does) and was wondering if tahoe backup can du that too?

Ideally I'd like to be able to backup a directory so that I can open the corresponding write-cap uri in the tahoe web interface and plainly see all files. Is that doable?

Best regards,
Anders