[tahoe-dev] "Setup.py trial" failure

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 19:12:40 UTC 2013

http://tny.cz/4c65796a

>   File "/Users/Frank/allmydata-tahoe-1.10.0/support/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Twisted-13.0.0-py2.7-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/twisted/internet/_sslverify.py", line 101, in _copyFrom
>     value = getattr(x509name, name, None)
> exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xfd in position 0: invalid start byte

This old thing again!!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pyopenssl/+bug/434411

We were never able to reproduce it and we eventually gave up.

Please, by all means, put a cage around this bug before it scurries
away into the darkness!

And by "put a cage around it", I mean: do *not* change anything which
might make the bug stop happening, such as what versions of any
software that you have installed on your system, or your system
configuration. Perhaps, in order to allow you to make changes to your
development system, you could set up a virtual machine and install all
the same software on that and verify that you get the same bug, then
make a snapshot of that, and then we can rest assured that this bug is
reproducible and you can safely go ahead and start making changes to
your development system again.

Here's how to test whether the bug is still reproducible:

./bin/tahoe debug trial --until-failure
allmydata.test.test_client.Basic.test_create_drop_uploader

That should generate the same error message, unless the bug has gotten away.

Thanks!