[tahoe-dev] Newbie problems

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Sun Feb 3 18:57:38 UTC 2013

Hello Owen Thomas. Welcome!

I'm sorry you had this trouble when experimenting with Tahoe-LAFS.

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Owen Thomas
<owen.thomas at redoakconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Unfortunately when I opened the web client it states that it is not connected to the introducer.

Could it be that the Test Grid introducer is down? I do not know who
is responsible for the Test Grid introducer. Let's see...

docs/running.rst ¹ points to wiki:TestGrid ² which has this introducer
furl: pb://u7w4hdwgw5lfsuw7cnovh4jcoyvlne7o@128.59.153.44:51644/introducer

nc tells me that nothing is accepting TCP connections on that host and port:

$ nc -v 128.59.153.44 51644
nc: connect to 128.59.153.44 port 51644 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

The furl was put there by David-Sarah in this edit:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/TestGrid?action=diff&version=73&old_version=72

"host 128.59.153.44" tells me tyler.cul.columbia.edu, which is running
a default Mac OS X Server page on port 80.

So, how about we do one of the following:

option a) Someone volunteers to become the Official Tahoe-LAFS.org
Test Grid Wrangler, and make sure there is a reliable introducer. That
person's name and email address appears next to the introducer furl on
the wiki.

option b) We edit running.rst to remove any mention of the existence
of a Public Test Grid and instead have it instruct people in how to
set up their own test grid.

¹ https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/running.rst

² https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/TestGrid